The average Canadian is said to be increasing in tiredness and fatigue when compared to previous generations, however, this isn’t strictly due to busier work schedules. Studies suggest that nearly 50% of adults suffer from perpetual sleep problems which prevent them from getting a good night’s rest to fuel their busy lifestyle. We’ve compiled some easy sleep and lifestyle tips for any of you who find you aren’t feeling quite as energetic throughout the day as you once did:
Test your pillow:
– A proper pillow plays an important role in getting a good night’s sleep. Your pillow should keep your neck aligned to your spine. Your head weighs between 8-12 pounds so it is necessary to find a pillow that can support your head, neck and upper back muscles.
– Avoid flat pillows that provide zero support. Invest in a pillow specifically designed to your sleeping form. Whether you’re a side or back sleeper (please, no stomach sleeping!) there will be a range of pillows you can choose from based on your personal preference.
Signs that you may need a new mattress:
– You wake up with aches and pains.
– You had better night’s sleep somewhere other than your own bed (hotel room or a friend’s house).
– Your mattress has physical deformities such as lumps, cracks and loose springs.
Do’s & Don’ts
– Try to go to bed at the same time every night to maintain your cycle in a regular rhythm.
– Wear light clothing for pajamas to help maintain a cool body temperature as you sleep.
– Exercise daily – even a short walk will help balance your body’s chemistry.
– Explore stress-reduction techniques – including breathing exercises, prayer, a warm bath or even a heating pad over your shoulder (which works wonderfully for many of our patients).
– Your room should be dark when you go to bed, but still allow natural light to enter in the morning as this helps to regulate your biological clock.
– Do not to eat or exercise 2 hours before bed time. Consuming food takes energy and your body temp rises in order to digest the food – your body needs to cool down in order to achieve deep sleep.
– Don’t use your computer or any electronic devices just prior to going to sleep. Numerous studies are highlighting the effects of staring at a screen too close before sleeping – some suggesting you should avoid this as much as 1-2 hours before bed.
– Maintain a healthy diet that includes lots of fruits, vegetables, grains and fish; Avoids foods that are high in saturated fats and sugars.
– Research and experiment with different natural spices in your recipes. For example, turmeric (that’s the spice you use for chicken noodle soup!), is also natural anti-depressant.
– Eliminate intake of refined sugar, caffeine, alcohol and avoid smoking.
See your Chiropractor!
– The saying “I carry my stress on my shoulder” is actually true! When stressed, your muscles automatically tighten up and can prevent your body from resting in a relaxed form. A great Chiropractor is able to help by relieving muscle tension built up by stress, leading to better sleep!
Have some built up tension you’re looking to have relieved?
Book an Appointment to see how Chiropractic care can give you better sleep!
Matthew 6:25-34 – Do Not Worry
25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.